Every year, QSF holds a flash fiction contest, asking authors to submit a sci fi, fantasy, paranormal or horror LGBTIQA story that has no more than 300 words.
We will be officially launching our 2017 contest on March 10th, and closing it April 10th, but you can start writing now. The theme is “Renewal”:
Take that however you will – a new beginning after a nuclear war, a birth of a werewolf baby, the reforging of a fantasy sword, etc. It’s up to you. We’ll be accepting stories from across the queer spectrum, and would love to see more entries including lesbian, trans, bi, intersex and ace protagonists, as well as gay men. We also welcome diversity in ability and in race. The stories can also fall anywhere across the spectrum romance-wise – romance is fine, but stories can also be genre driven with no romance at all. But they must include at least one clearly queer character.
So break out your writing pencil or laptop or whatever you use, and get ready to write.
- The story must be no longer than 300 words long, not including the title/byline. Longer entries will be rejected.
- The story must somehow embrace the theme of “renewal”.
- The story can be with or without an LGBTIQA romance, HEA not required, but must have LGBTIQA characters or content.
- The story should be speculative fiction – all flavors of sci fi, fantasy, paranormal or horror accepted.
- The story should be a standalone – not connected to any series or universe.
- The winners will be chosen by a panel of six judges.
- Whether a submitted story meets all the qualifications is at the discretion of the judges.
- One entry per person.
- Entries are due by midnight PST on 4/10/17.
- Entries should be sent in our template format – PLEASE USE THE WORD TEMPLATE BELOW. Send them to email@example.com, with the email subject line “QSF FLASH FICTION CONTEST: TITLE, AUTHOR”, replacing TITLE and AUTHOR with your own.
- The top three winners will receive cash prizes of $50, $30, and $20 respectively; everyone who is chosen for publication will receive a free copy of the eBook. No royalties will be paid.
- Each of the judges will also select one work for special recognition as a “Judge’s Choice”. There is no monetary reward for this distinction.
- Authors agree to first publication rights on the blog if chosen as a winner or as a “Judge’s Choice”. Authors agree to exclusive publication in QSF anthology for 12 months, with author’s right to publish elsewhere returned after the end of the 12 months after publication date. MCB/QSF retain the right to sell the work for 24 months after publication
- The judging panel will choose works from all entries submitted to create an eBook and paperback with Mischief Corner Books, which will be sold to raise money for the QSF site.
- We don’t have the resources to provide personalized commentary or critique for every story that is not chosen for the anthology, but rest assured, we appreciate every entry
- The top stories (winners and “Judge’s Choice” stories) will also be published on the QSF blog.
If you have any trouble downloading it, message J. Scott Coatsworth on FB and I can give you a copy. You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For our first year, the theme was “Endings”. To see the top three stories and the three honorable mentions from 2014, click here.
To see the rest of the submissions from 2014 (where the authors gave us the go-ahead to post them), click here.
For the third year, the theme was “Flight”. To see the winners and honorable mentions from 2016, click here.
Our fourth annual flash fiction contest will be held in April, 2017, theme to be announced.