As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

FOR WRITERS: Using Instafreebie

Instafreebie

FOR WRITERS One of our members is just getting started with instafreebie, the service for delivering/”selling” free books. She asked about how to use it and get the most out of it. I have limited experience with it, so I thought we’d throw this out to the group – I know many of you have used it. How do you use it? What do you use it for? How do you get the most from the site? And are there any downsides to be aware of? Join the chat

Asta’s Annotations: Epithets (Editing Tip for Authors)

Today I am wearing my editor hat and talking to the QSF authors out there (although readers may also find the discussion of interest). The topic I would like to discuss is the issue of epithets. This is something I see from authors across genres; however, it tends to be prevalent in LGBT fiction, no doubt because authors are trying to accommodate for the fact that they often have two leads of the same gender, between whom they need to differentiate.

Perhaps some of you are thinking, “What’s an epithet?”

Read more

FOR READERS: Trigger Warnings

Warning

FOR READERS AND WRITERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Wendy Rathbone: For readers and writers: If a book is sufficiently blurbed and tagged for explicit content and dark themes do you still need trigger warnings? Why? And trigger warnings that contain spoilers: yay or nay? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

Jeff Baker: Boogieman In Lavender: “Oh, The Horror!”

horror - pixabay

Call it dread, terror, fright or the heebie-jeebies, all beings know fear. The universality of this emotion may partly explain the popularity of the genre, a popularity that stretches back way before Stephen king or Clive Barker. Even before Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein” over 200 years ago. Back maybe to the days of caves and early Man huddled in groups around a fire listening to tales that thrill. LGBT readers (and viewers) are no strangers to the appeal of fear. One might immediately assume we have a special set of fears; being outed. Public stigma and discrimination from being out. The … Read more

FOR READERS: Alien POV’s

alien - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Brian Cherry: What are some of your favorite queer characters with a truly alien point of view? I see a lot of gay vampires and werewolves that are just humans with extra issues, but what about the ones that aren’t just special humans? Please note, this is alien in the sense of vastly different, so in addition to actual aliens, it can also include all kinds of other sentient creatures. Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. … Read more

FOR READERS: I Wanna Share

share - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Robin Harper: Do you ever find yourself in a situation in which you are utterly and completely in love with a GLBT+ Romance novel and have absolutely -no one- to share it with? We have the magic of the internet these days but with that magic also comes a strange meeting of worlds when it comes to the friends we’ve made by sharing a love of the same genre of books, and the ones that we’ve known since High School or even since Birth. How do you balance between them, or not … Read more

FOR WRITERS: Off on a Tangent

tangent - pixabay

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Kari Trenten: Going off on a tangent! :) Your imagination takes your writing in a new direction. How do you deal with it? Embrace it? Fight it? It’s irresistible, the urge to go with it. How do you balance that urge with the demands of your professional life and existing deadlines? Join the chat

FOR READERS: Supporting Your Authors

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Denise Deschene: You know them, you love them! You pound the pre-order button, wish them a Happy Book Release Day on FB! You wake up and roll over to buy their books the moment they’re dropped and kid yourself that you’ll only read the first chapter then go to sleep and end up staying up all night wibbling over their creations~. You Love These Authors!!! How do you support your favorite authors? Writing is not a six-figure income and with the power of social media, you are able to follow your author’s … Read more