As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

FOR READERS: Where I Read

Reader - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Alex Hinterman: Do you have a favorite place to read? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

FOR WRITERS: Too High Too Fast?

Bestseller

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Tami Veldura: “Many a bestseller could have been prevented by a good teacher.” — discuss. LOL… ok, so I’ll expand upon this a bit. Many of us writers feel “imposter syndrome” – that we really suck as writers, and that one day we will be found out. But what about when the opposite is true? When a writer experiences overnight success when their first book becomes a bestseller? Where is the incentive for growth? And another tangent – why do many poorly written books become bestsellers, while better books languish in the … Read more

Boogieman In Lavender: Working In The Slush Factory

Jeff Baker

This is for writers and more importantly, for those people who want to be writers. There is an inescapable reality to anyone who writes and puts their work out into the market. That part is simply; it might not sell. A lot of times, on average, it will not sell. At least not at first. Every writer deals with rejection. Usually in a form letter or e-mail, sometimes with a more personal mention of your work; maybe even encouragement (“Please let us see more of your work.”) or criticism. (“Way too wordy.”) This is all part of the writer’s life, … Read more

FOR WRITERS: What’s in a Blurb?

blurbs

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Denise Dechene: What makes me want to read a book is the Blurb, but sometimes I feel like the blurb holds all the information without reading the book. Has anyone else had this problem? What information do you think should be in a blurb? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

FOR WRITERS: Writing Multiple Stories

stories - pixabay

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Jaime Camille: How do you personally balance your creative writing life when you have multiple stories you want to do? Do you prioritize just one until it’s done, or do you juggle 2, 10, 100? And if so, how? I’ve been struggling with that one right now. Join the chat

FOR READERS: Author Newsletters

newsletter - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Elizabeth Noble: Do you open and read author and group newsletters? I’ll expand this a bit – what makes you read an author newsletter that comes into your box? A catchy headline? Certain features? Discounts? What do you like and what don’t you like to see? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

Rabid Reader Recommendations — R3 Wednesdays!

WELCOME to Rabid Reader Recommendations, or R3 WEDNESDAYS! We host this discussion the first Wednesday of every month; it’s a great opportunity to recommend and discuss works you have enjoyed in queer speculative fiction. For July R3, the theme is: Trans/Nonbinary! HOW IT WORKS: The works have to be QUILTBAG Speculative Fiction. They have to be related to the theme. This is a reader discussion. Don’t recommend your own works–get someone to do it for you! Please include a Goodreads link or something comparable. You can create a new comment for each recommendation if you’d like. You may also add … Read more