As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

FOR READERS: Preferred Book Length

thick book - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Denise Dechene: I don’t read a book based on how long or short it is. That being said I know a lot of people do. Do you like short books long books or don’t care? If you only read a certain length, what’s your cut-off, and why? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

Seeing the Future

Cosmic Science Fiction

I’ve been having a lot of fun collecting digital scans of old pulp magazine covers. It’s great killing time on the Facebook group, Space Opera Pulp, where several thousand other fans of pulp magazines hang out. I save images to a folder called “SF Covers” and use a program, John’s Background Switcher to randomly display them on my computer’s desktop background. (It’s a free program for Windows and Mac computers.) Then, when I want to take a break I’ll watch a slideshow of science fiction art. Sometimes I listen to a podcast or audio books while watching. I tell JBS … Read more

TV: New Project Seeks to Bring Diversity to Children’s Animation

Big World, Little Om

Children’s animation is tragically low when it comes to diversity, not unlike the rest of the media landscape. There are a few shows like Steven Universe and The Legend of Korra, which strive to be more inclusive, but they’re the exception. Now, however, there’s a new title on the scene trying to change things. Big World, Little Om tells the story of Om and his two mothers. The series, if it becomes a reality, seeks to explore diverse issues families can face. As the website explains: ‘These issues can be anything from gender or sexuality, same sex parents to having … Read more

FOR READERS: MPREG

mpreg

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Denise Dechene: Mpreg is popular with some people. It is something I enjoy reading. Have you read any and if so how realistic does it have to be for you ? Do you have to have the man deliver and have the gory details or do you just want to see the progression and how a man deals with pregnancy? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

FOR READERS: Too Much World?

world building - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Christopher Koehler: What do you look for in word-building? Do you want everything detailed down to the last blade of grass, or do you want writers to get to the story already? We tackled the flip side of this topic – when writers dawdle with world building – last week. Now we wanna hear what readers have to say! Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat