As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

FOR READERS: The Title Did It

book title - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Denise Dechene: A lot of readers talk about covers. That the reason they picked the book up and read the blurb was because the cover grabbed them. My question is what about the title of the book? Have you picked up and read the blurb on a book because the title grabbed you and you had to know what the book was about? Has a title of a book made you turn away and not want to read the book? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join … Read more

FOR AUTHORS: I Wanna Be My Own Publisher

paperwork - pixabay

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Tory Phoenix: Given the discussion on ISBNs, and the point several people made about the appearanve of professionalism in the presentation of our work, how does one set up their own imprint (micro-press)? Links to resources, pitfalls, lessons learned, cost, Etc…? Do you set up an LLC, or are there simpler methods? Join the chat

FOR READERS: What Do You Want?

good book - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Kari Trenten: What do you look for in a book? It’s a bit of a broad question, so I’ll narrow it down a bit. What is it that is most important to you in a book – the thing that makes it so you can’t put it down? Is good characterization the thing? A tight plot? The pacing? Characters like you? What elements make the perfect book, in your humble opinion? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works … Read more

FOR WRITERS: I Know That Place!

cafe bar - pixabay

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer J. Scott Coatsworth: I’m just wrapping up my ongoing serial project, which is set here in Sacramento. I have used the names of local businesses (restaurants, stores, etc) rather liberally, but some friends have advised me against this for potential libel issues. I’m planning to release a book version of the story next year, and am wondering whether I should change the business names to something fictitious. On the one hand, I love the local cachet the names give. On the other hand, I don’t wanna be sued. What is your experience … Read more

FOR READERS: What I Don’t Like In a Cover

cover - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Alexis Woods: What visual on a cover might turn you off to reading a book? Maybe it’s a cover model who has been way over-used? Maybe a bad font? Too much going on? Without naming book titles, what on a cover has made you turn a blind eye or gloss over a book? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

FOR WRITERS: Writing Bisexuality

Bisexual Heart - 123rf paid

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer J. Scott Coatsworth: In honor of bi week, I thought we’d ask our bi authors to take center stage, and tell us what their experience has been both writing and reading bi characters. What do writers get right when tackling a character who is bisexual? What do they often get wrong? If you are bi- or pan-sexual, please chime in. If you’re not, this is a great forum to ask questions. This could be a sensitive topic, so please keep your questions and comments thoughtful and respectful. Join the chat

FOR READERS: Bi in My Books

Bisexual Heart - 123rf paid

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer J. Scott Coatsworth: In honor of #biweek, let’s talk about queer speculative fiction with bi characters – what are your favorite books that include bisexuality and bi characters? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

For Writers/Readers: What’s In a Name?

my name is dex

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Carole Cummings: “I’m fascinated by this conversation and how everyone gets a different “feel” from a name. I get an entirely different picture of a Dexter than I do of a Dex. Which is really kind of cool, because there’s so much you could do with a characterization using only that one tiny aspect.” I’ll broaden this out a bit. As an author, how do you choose the perfect name> How do you know if it feels right? And what do you think shapes perceptions of and reactions to a given name? … Read more