As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

FOR READERS: What I Don’t Like In a Cover

book cover - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Alexis Woods: Wondering if we ever had a question about what visual on a cover might turn you off to reading a book? I’m asking because there’s one male model that’s way over used and another picture of two guys doing the “Spider-Man kiss” that whenever I see those pictures it does nothing to inspire me to read the book. Does an unappealing cover or title make you turn a blind eye or gloss over a book? Please do not reference particular covers for this chat by image or name. Writers: This … Read more

FOR READERS AND WRITERS: RIP Ursula K. Le Guin

Ursula K. LeGuin

FOR READERS & WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer J. Scott Coatsworth: Yesterday we lost another speculative fiction legend. I was captivated by the Earthsea stories in particular, and the haunting story she wove around them. She was an amazing talent. So… I’d like to make today’s topic about her. Readers – which of her books and stories did you love, and why? Writers – did she influence your work in any way? Join the chat

FOR WRITERS/READERS: Cursing in Other Worlds

language - pixabay

FOR WRITERS/READERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Meraki P. Lyhne: Both writers and readers can join in here. Cussing in the future or in Fantasy worlds. What would readers find belivable? Like do they even consider that many derive from Christianity? Which wouldn’t be belivable in a world without the religion. And in the future? How original should the author be to make a belivable change to vocabulary? This is a legacy topic – one that we’ve discussed before, but thought was good enough to bring around again. Join the chat

FOR READERS: Hidden Gems

hidden gem

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer J. Scott Coatsworth: What’s one queer speculative fiction book (sci fi, fantasy, paranormal, horror) that you absolutely LOVED but that never seemed to get its proper due? One you wished everyone else would read? And why? Let’s give some love to hardworking writers who need a little sunshine. Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

Four Tips for Writing LGBT Historical Fiction

I love historical fiction; however, I’ve encountered the occasional work in which it’s clear the author hasn’t done sufficient research before writing. Anachronisms are the biggest culprit in this regard, so today I thought I’d share four tips on conducting research for your historical novel.

Read more

FOR READERS: eBook vs. Paperback

paperback vs. ebook - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Tam Ames: What was the last paper book in this genre you read. Last e-book? What percentage of your reads are paper vs e-book? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! This is a “legacy” topic. Join the chat