As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

FOR READERS: I Like ‘Em Regular

Calendar - Pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Nathan Smith: How (if at all) does the output of an author play into your readership? Like, an author who releases a book every couple of years or so vs authors who release something every other month – does that factor at all into your reading habits, or your expectations? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! This is a legacy chat. Join the chat

FOR WRITERS: Holy Frack! Cursing in Spec Fic

cursing - pixabay

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer J. Scott Coatsworth: Let’s talk about swearing in space. Or in the magical world of Elflorien. Or amongst the shifter wolves of the Red Tail Pack… How do you come up with convincing curse words in your particular world? Or do you fall back on the old tried and trues? Join the chat

FOR READERS: Did I Read the Same Book?

confused - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Ryane Chatman: Have you ever liked/disliked a book, and then casually looked through the reviews and wondered if you read the same book as everyone else? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

FOR WRITERS: To Outline or Not to Outline

outline - pixabay

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Sheena J. Himes: Does anyone else hate outlining? I tend not to outline at all, but as a series progresses it becomes a necessity to some degree or another. Trouble for me is that after I outline in the traditional method, it feels like I’ve already written the book, and any desire to actually WRITE it evaporates and I get horribly bored. (Why I remain 75% pantser and 25% plotter. I keep sticky notes with required plot points and threads and that is the extent of my outlining.) Even if I love … Read more

FOR READERS: It’s All in The Characterization

Characters - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Isabeau Vollhardt: How important are the characters to what you read? Do you consider them equally important to the plot, or are you willing to endure an undeveloped, unsympathetic, flat character because you’re looking for the action to move fast? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

Rabid Reader Recommendations — R3 Wednesdays!

WELCOME to Rabid Reader Recommendations, or R3 WEDNESDAYS! We host this discussion the first Wednesday of every month; it’s a great opportunity to recommend and discuss works you have enjoyed in queer speculative fiction. For March’s R3, the theme is: Aliens!   HOW IT WORKS: The works have to be QUILTBAG Speculative Fiction. They have to be related to the theme. This is a reader discussion. Don’t recommend your own works–get someone to do it for you! Please include a Goodreads link or something comparable. You can create a new comment for each recommendation if you’d like. Join the Facebook … Read more