As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

FOR WRITERS: Hiding in Plain Site

crystal ball - pixabay

FOR WRITERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Justine Bonczek: I find it interesting when writers create huge hidden worlds that exist within plain site of existing worlds. While Harry Potter is not sci fi, it’s still a great example of a functioning society that invests a huge amount of time, money and effort into staying hidden from the larger world. I find this concept to be fairly prevalent in queer fiction as well, and I’m curious if there are some parallels of being queer and also “hiding in plain site.” I guess my question is, what is the draw … Read more

FOR READERS: What Do You Want in a Series?

book series - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFers Charli Coty and Anne Barwell: What do you look for in a series? Characters you love, an overarching storyline, episodic installments? Series or standalone? Series arc or shared universe with different MCs taking centre stage? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

FOR READERS: How Much Science?

science - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFers Sydney Blackburn and Naomi Tajedler: How much science do you like in your sci-fi? Does it matter to you if orbital mechanics are or are not taken into account, or if the source of food on a closed system like a space station is not mentioned as an aside? Do your expect your non-earth planets to have non-earth life forms (ie, equiv to tigers, bears, snakes, etc)? Note: YMMV depending on whether the story is romance or sci fi with queer characters. Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome … Read more

FOR WRITERS: Future Pay

emoney - pixabay

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer J. Scott Coatsworth: For all you sci fi prophets, how will people pay for things in the future? More and more people are using mobile phone payments, and BitCoin is making people crazy with its wild fluctuations in value. So… What will money be like in the future? This is a legacy chat. Join the chat

Rabid Reader Recommendations — R3 Wednesdays!

WELCOME to Rabid Reader Recommendations, or R3 WEDNESDAYS! We host this discussion the first Wednesday of every month; it’s a great opportunity to recommend and discuss works you have enjoyed in queer speculative fiction. For May’s R3, the theme is: Other World Sci Fi! (Sci Fi that takes place on other worlds besides Earth, or in another non-Earth universe.)   HOW IT WORKS: The works have to be QUILTBAG Speculative Fiction. They have to be related to the theme. This is a reader discussion. Don’t recommend your own works–get someone to do it for you! Please include a Goodreads link … Read more

FOR READERS: Dialects

dialects - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Angel Martinez: When reading dialogue and you come across regional dialects (or even made up dialects) – love it or hate it? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! This is a legacy chat. Join the chat

FOR WRITERS: Writing A Different Gender

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Tracy Timmons-Gray: What are your recommendations on how to write a character whose sexual or gender identity is different from your own? For instance, there’s isn’t one kind of asexual or gender queer person; authentic representation is often very nuanced. What things do you recommend to try to capture those nuances when writing a character? What do you try to avoid? Join the chat